This information and documentation is for ECT Induction from September 2021
For ECT Induction starting prior to September 2021 please click here
Early Career Teacher Induction
Professional Learning Network, in Partnership with Saffron Teaching School Hub, is an Appropriate Body for the Induction of primary and secondary Early Career Teachers (ECTs). Induction is an important bridge between training and practice that supports early career teachers to build their effectiveness and improve their teaching. It also provides an important quality assurance measure for schools, pupils and parents.
The charge for the 2 Year Appropriate Body service for each ECT is £150 (or £60 a term) in Year 1 and £150 (or £60 a term) in Year 2.
The Appropriate Body Service
- Registration of the Early Career Teacher and returns to the Teaching Regulation Agency
- Fidelity Checking of Early Career Programme route (an additional fee for schools choosing the Core or School-Based Induction Programme)
- Induction Tutor training and Network meetings
- Quality-assuring the process of your in-school support
- Access to support materials directly from our website
- Providing termly progress check documents which are returned electronically
- Monitoring termly progress check reports to identify Early Career Teachers requiring additional support
- Monitoring visit and the equivalent of 2 days SLE support for Early Career Teachers requiring additional support.
- Providing formal end of Year 1 and Year 2 assessment documents which are returned electronically
- Monitoring of all end of Year 1 and Year 2 reports for Early Career Teachers.
- Making the final decision as to whether or not an Early Career Teacher’s performance, against the relevant standards, is satisfactory, drawing on the recommendation of the headteacher.
Download an Introduction to Headteachers
Dates for Submission of Progress Reviews and End of Year Reports 2021-2022
Useful Documents for ECT Induction
Download the relevant documents by selecting the links below.
ECT – Quality Assurance document
ECT – Initial Lesson Observation Proforma (Within first four weeks)
ECT – Action Plan
ECT – Half-Termly Professional Review meetings
ECT – Termly Formal Professional Review Meetings
ECT – Annual Formal assessment form
ECT – Future Development Plan
Core Induction Programme fidelity check
School-based Induction Programme fidelity check
Register your Early Career Teachers (ECTs) for statutory induction
Download the Registration document.
Induction Tutor training 2021-2022
All induction tutors are invited to attend training at no additional cost to learn about the requirements of the statutory induction period for ECTs and to receive guidance on setting up an induction programme to meet statutory requirements.
Wednesday 7th July 2021
What happens if an ECT is not making satisfactory progress?
In a small number of cases, teachers experience difficulties and an induction tutor may feel that the ECT is not progressing satisfactorily against the Teachers’ Standards. In such cases the induction tutor should discuss this with the headteacher, who in turn should contact the Named Person for ECTs at the Appropriate Body:
Verity Boreham, Professional Learning Network Director
The purpose of identifying unsatisfactory progress is so that the school, with the Appropriate Body’s help, can put extra guidance and support into place so that they will be confident in recommending that the ECT has performed satisfactorily against the Teachers’ Standards by the end of the two year induction period.