This six day programme (one day per week) for teachers in Primary Schools covers key aspects of teaching and learning:
- Challenge and engagement
- Starters and plenaries
It provides opportunities for delegates to:
- Observe good and outstanding practice in the host school and their own school
- Reflect on and adapt their own practice
- Participate in post sessional tasks with the support of their mentor
- Develop their understanding of effective teaching and learning through collaborating with others
Comments from previous delegates:
- “An excellent programme that understands the needs of teachers.”
- “It deepened my thinking about my practice.”
- “Fantastic – gained confidence and was able to embed new things straight away and see the impact immediately.”
- “I am now much more aware of the importance of questioning.”
The programme requires the delegates to have a mentor back in school talk through learning which has taken place and to support with tasks which are set each week to be completed by the following week. On the final session mentors are invited to attend to observe the delegates teaching and celebrate their successes. The mentor then works with the delegates on an action plan to enable the impact to continue and embed beyond the six weeks.
The programme is designed for delegates to work in learning triads and ideally these would be from the same school so delegates can support each other and work together back in school. However this is not essential and sometimes schools link up to provide three delegates between them.